This municipal library, funded by the City of North Miami Beach, serves the citizens of North Miami Beach. The library has a diverse collection of over 60,000 items, which include fiction and non-fiction books, magazines, newspapers, videos, audio books and discs, compact discs, and DVD's for adults, teens, and children. A bilingual and multi-cultural staff provides a variety of services and programs.
A Brief History
The North Miami Beach Library began as a part of the City of Miami Library system in June 1959 inside a storefront on NE 163rd Street. In 1960, the library moved and expanded to two storefronts at the corner of NE 19th Avenue and NE 169th Street. The city severed its relationship with the City of Miami's Library system in 1961 to form an independent library with a staff of two and a budget of $25,000.
In 1964 North Miami Beach voters passed a bond issue to build a permanent library structure. The city dedicated the 10,000 square foot stone and wood facility in 1965.
The new library opened its doors with 6,000 volumes for the reading pleasure of 4,000 registered cardholders.
By the building's tenth anniversary in February 1976, the library had grown to 46,000 volumes and 10,000 cardholders. A 1981 addition expanded the library to 11,200 square feet.
Another expansion and renovation project began in 1991, increasing the structure to its current size of over 23,000 square feet. This project was completed in 1994.
Use of the library continues to grow.